May is Better Hearing Month. Are you excited?
I know I am! Bringing awareness to hearing health is a yearlong passion of mine; better yet, a lifelong passion! Did you know that hearing loss is the third most common health problem in the United States? With that in mind, only a small percentage (roughly 16-30% depending on the age group) of those with a hearing loss actually seeks help to have it treated. As you can see, we have a lot of work to do.
Very few people want to admit that their hearing is an issue. Below are a few questions designed to help determine if you might have a hearing loss, please answer yes or no.
- Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
- Do you have trouble following the conversation with two or more people talking at the same time?
- Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
- Do you have to strain to understand conversation or have trouble hearing in a noisy background?
- Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
- Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
- Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
Did you answer yes to three or more of these questions? If so, then it’s time to set up an appointment for a hearing evaluation to investigate the possibility of a hearing loss. Early detection is vital to your long term health. Your hearing, once a loss begins, will continually digress over time. Just as you have any other medical checkups done, it’s important you have your hearing screened every year. When detected early, we can begin correcting your hearing at the first sign of a loss. This helps preserve what natural hearing you have, for as long as possible. Who wouldn’t want that?
Still not convinced that getting a hearing exam is important? Many clinics, such as my own, offer hearing examinations at no cost. You heard that right, FREE! Better yet, we offer home visits and after hour appointments. So if it’s hard for you to get around, don’t let that stop you. There is no obligation or hidden strings attached. I value your hearing and don’t want anything to hold you back from getting a screening.
So let me ask you, have you had your hearing checked recently? Don’t hesitate, go out and get your hearing tested today. Let May be the month you put your hearing health as a priority!